My Mom has been making homemade hot chocolate for years. I remember playing outside in the snow with my friends and coming inside to her stirring hot chocolate on the stove, and having warm chocolate chip cookies for us. Now that I have my own children, I love to make hot chocolate for them when they play outside in the winter or when they help shovel snow. Of course, my children love to add marshmallows too, or just eat the marshmallows separately. Since most of my family has been on a Low Carbohydrate Diet for the past few years, my Mom has altered it to be sugar-free now too. If you don’t have any diet restrictions, you can just use sugar in place of Splenda. What is your favorite hot drink on a cold winter’s day? Comment below. Do you prefer hot chocolate or Hot Mulled Apple Cider?
Mom’s Creamy Low Carb (Sugar-free) Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups Hot Water
- 3 Tbsps cocoa
- 3-4 Tbsps Splenda
- 1 12oz can Evaporated Milk
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Shake Cinnamon
- 1 cup Homemade Whipped Cream or Rediwhip
- Place a heavy saucepan on the stove. Add 2 cups of hot water.
- Add 3 Tbsps of Cocoa to hot water and whisk to combine over medium heat.
- Add Splenda and continue to whisk together until combined.
- Add Evaporated milk and Heavy Whipping Cream, stir continuously until combined.
- Next stir in 1 tsp of Vanilla
- Add a dash of Cinnamon
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream, cinnamon and any other desired topping.